About this course
The Graphic Communication AS programme is a one-year course of study and should be taken in conjunction with two or three other subjects and the Welsh Baccalaureate.
Based at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, learners may be able to take this qualification as a part-time student.
The course offers you a wide variety of approaches to Graphic Design and you will develop a range of skills, both academic and practical, through the use of sophisticated graphical software and drawing applications. Design projects will also allow you to apply creative potential, theory and practice to visual solutions and communicate them through a variety of media including digital, schematic and photography.
What you will study
The course comprises a series of personal investigations. Topics might include:
- Logo design
- Album cover design
- Book cover design
- Poster design
Students will use relevant computer software and traditional techniques.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs Grade A* - C to include English and Maths.
Individual subjects may require higher grades.
Mature learners without these qualifications may be accepted after an interview with the subject tutor.
Teaching and assessment
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I came to the College as I wanted to travel and become more independent – it’s so modern and looks amazing. When I saw the library I was sold. Honestly the library was my main pull, there are so many books I loved it.
Someone came in to speak to us about the Sutton Trust, which gives students a taste of life at American universities. I applied - it was really competitive but I got in. We went to a different state every day, and we went to different colleges including Princeton and Harvard. I also had a week at Warwick Uni and a week at Nottingham Uni. It was so good – I just loved it.
You have a lot of support at the College, especially from the Careers and Ideas team. I think there are a lot more opportunities here as it is such a big college with so many resources.
Need to know