About this course
The Government & Politics AS programme is a one-year course of study and should be taken in conjunction with two or three other subjects and the Welsh Baccalaureate.
Based at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, this course is an exploratory journey through the British and American political systems with an emphasis on your understanding of politics, rather than learning politics. Throughout the programme, pupils are encouraged to explore the workings, processes and frameworks of the various political institutions, individuals and groups associated with politics in the two countries.
Learners may be able to take this qualification as a part-time student.
What you will study
This course comprises of two units including topics such as elections, pressure groups, UK Constitution, judiciary etc.
Unit 1: People and Politics (written exam of 1hr 20m)
- Democracy and Participation - main features of the UK political system
- Elections and Voting - a knowledge of the electoral system
- Political Parties - understanding traditions and ideologies
- Pressure Groups - a knowledge of different categories of groups and how they operate
Unit 2: Governing the UK (written exam of 1hr 20m)
- The Constitution - a knowledge of the features and nature of the UK Constitution
- Parliament - an understanding of the roles and structures
- Prime Minister and Cabinet - an understanding of the power and constraints on power
- Judiciary - a knowledge of the role and power of the judges
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs Grade A* - C to include English and Maths.
Individual subjects may require higher grades.
Mature learners without these qualifications may be accepted after an interview with the subject tutor.
Teaching and assessment
Two written exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I came to the College as I wanted to travel and become more independent – it’s so modern and looks amazing. When I saw the library I was sold. Honestly the library was my main pull, there are so many books I loved it.
Someone came in to speak to us about the Sutton Trust, which gives students a taste of life at American universities. I applied - it was really competitive but I got in. We went to a different state every day, and we went to different colleges including Princeton and Harvard. I also had a week at Warwick Uni and a week at Nottingham Uni. It was so good – I just loved it.
You have a lot of support at the College, especially from the Careers and Ideas team. I think there are a lot more opportunities here as it is such a big college with so many resources.
Need to know