About this course
Our BTEC Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Computing is the perfect course for those individuals who are keen to further develop their skills and knowledge in IT and Computing. This new qualification will include written exams and tasks set and marked by the awarding body. Studying in the College's dedicated IT suites, students will gain key work related skills, including working with different technologies, configuring hardware and software, as well as problem-solving.
What you will study
On this course you will study units which include:
- Principles of Computing Science
- Fundamentals of Computing Systems
- IT Systems, Security and Encryption
- Business Applications of Social Media
- Web Development
- Mobile Apps Development
When you have chosen your course we highly recommend you register to the Career Ready programme. This is a programme that runs alongside your course to ensure a transformational journey, and is designed to help you enter the world of work or University with the confidence, skills and professional networks needed to fulfil your potential.
We will provide you with a mentor, workplace visits, master classes and work based experiences, which may also include an internship. All of which will work together and build on your studies to help you develop the skills and confidence needed to succeed in future careers.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
5 GCSEs Grades A* - C including English Language and Maths (or equivalent). International students will require an IELTS score of 6.5 or above.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous work based written assignments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
I was so used to the kind of structure you get at school and wanted a change. It was a fresh start for me. It’s always nice to do something different even if you’re scared. Some people think doing a BTEC is not as useful as sitting A Levels, but really I enjoy having to only do course work and not doing exams as I find course work easier yet I am still able to qualify for University. I’ve enjoyed the teaching as well – the tutors treat you like adults. City Centre Campus is a very bright, colourful building which I really like as it creates a nice environment to work in.
Need to know