About this course
The Drama and Theatre Studies AS programme is a one year course of study and should be taken in conjunction with two or three other subjects and the Welsh Baccalaureate. Based at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, learners may be able to take this qualification as a part-time student. AS Drama and Theatre Studies is designed to broaden experience, develop imagination, whilst fostering creativity and personal and social development. It is essential that any student wishing to study drama at this level should be highly dedicated and motivated, prepared to put in extra time and effort in order to complete the background reading and rehearse for the practical assessment.
What you will study
During the course the following areas will be covered:
AS Unit 1: Theatre Workshop
Non-exam assessment: internally assessed (24% of A level qualification, 90 marks)
Students must participate in the creation, development and performance of a piece of theatre based on a reinterpretation of an extract from a text chosen from a list supplied by WJEC.
The piece must be developed using the techniques and working methods of either an influential theatre practitioner or a recognised theatre company.
Students must produce:
- A realisation of the performance or design
- A creative log
- An evaluation
AS Unit 2: Text in Theatre
Written examination: 1 hour 30 minutes (16% of A level qualification, 60 marks)
Open book: Clean copies of the complete text studied must be taken into the exam.
The exam will consist of a series of questions based on one performance text from a list provided by WJEC.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
A minimum of 5 GCSEs Grade A* - C to include English and Maths. Individual subjects may require higher grades.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment including coursework and practical exam
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I came to the College as I wanted to travel and become more independent – it’s so modern and looks amazing. When I saw the library I was sold. Honestly the library was my main pull, there are so many books I loved it.
Someone came in to speak to us about the Sutton Trust, which gives students a taste of life at American universities. I applied - it was really competitive but I got in. We went to a different state every day, and we went to different colleges including Princeton and Harvard. I also had a week at Warwick Uni and a week at Nottingham Uni. It was so good – I just loved it.
You have a lot of support at the College, especially from the Careers and Ideas team. I think there are a lot more opportunities here as it is such a big college with so many resources.
Need to know