About this course
Our VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Theatrical, Special Effects and Hair & Media Make-Up (QCF) is a technical level qualification for learners seeking a career as an employed and/or self-employed theatrical media make-up artist.
Students will work with performers to a high level of occupational ability, providing hair and make-up services in the media, theatre, performing arts, fashion and photographic industries. Studying in the College's dedicated facilities, this qualification is based on the hairdressing and beauty therapy standards of the NOS (National Occupational Standards), and is recognised by the UK's lead beauty therapy professional association (The British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology - BABTAC) as being fit for purpose for preparing learners for a career as a professional theatrical media make-up artist. Learners are required to purchase a professional kit and uniform to undertake the course (approx. £650). You will also undertake additional work experience hours, outside of your college timetable.
All learners will be required to always wear full Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) whilst in the salons and clinic. Full uniform, to be purchased by learner. This includes tunic, trousers and flat enclosed shoes.
The following will be supplied by college:
- Face Mask
- Plastic Apron
- Surgical Gloves
What you will study
This course covers a range of aspects including:
- Applying airbrush make-up to the face
- Camouflage make-up
- Media make-up
- Style and fit postiche
- Fashion and photographic make-up
- Client care and communication beauty-related industries
- Monitor and maintain health and safety practice in the salon
- Apply prosthetic pieces and bald caps
- Bridal hair styling
- Fantasy hair design for performers
Many of our learners go to work in industry or progress onto higher education in University.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Salon Fees: £30.00
Successful achievement in relevant Level 2 Diploma (Hair/Beauty). Interview and satisfactory reference from Course Tutor indicating good behaviour, satisfactory attendance and progress. Prior Learning and work experience will also be considered.
Teaching and assessment
- There are no assessment details set.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Ever since I can remember I have always enjoyed doing hair and beauty. Through the contacts that one of our tutors had, I obtained a job working in a spa. The practical skills I have gained from studying at CAVC have been amazing.
Need to know