About this course
Our Diploma in Design course is great for individuals keen to further their development in the creative sector. Based at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, this programme offers students a chance to learn a variety of approaches to three-dimensional design, as well as covering some elements of graphic design. Learners can expect to develop a range of skills related to their individual area of interest and creative potential.
The projects will allow you to respond creatively to design briefs and to get a taste of specialist areas such as:
• Product Design
• Graphic Design
• Furniture Design
• Computer Graphics
• Packaging Design
• Film Set and Prop Design
• Theatre Design
• Interior Design
Students will also explore inter-relationships between design technology, target audiences, ergonomics and aesthetics. Skills will include the study of Materials and Workshop Processes, 3D Computer Modeling and Animation, Ergonomic Principles, Graphic Communication and Design in context.
This programme is project-led and studio based. Assessments are continuous and you are graded on submission of project work and assignments throughout. The department has extensive 3D making/Art workshops and computer facilities.
Workshops and Studios:
• Availability of a wide range of materials
• Access to professional tools and equipment for wood, metal, plastics
• Full-scale prototype/ model making production including CNC and 3D printing
• Links with local industries
• Mac computers
• Colour Laser Printing Facilities
• Cinema 4D, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator)
Throughout the course, students will be using our industry standard 3D modelling software - Cinema 4D for professional looking presentations.
Live projects and competitions will be sponsored by local industries, encouraging innovation and creativity. These include:
• Prop design for Tonto Film Industries
• Dragon’s Den competition sponsored by Cardiff & Vale Enterprise
• Set Design in association with Royal Opera House and the National Skills Academy - Creative and Cultural Skills.
What you will study
Year 1 topics include:
Phase 1: Designing for film set and props (in association with Tonto Films) and designing for stage set (in association with The Royal Opera House)
Phase 2: Product design and marketing (with computer 3D modeling)
Phase 3: Team design for enterprise and community
Phase 4: Sustainable design
Year 2 topics include:
Phase 5: Furniture design (with computer 3D modeling)
Phase 6: Interior design and architecture – spatial design (with computer 3D modeling)
Phase 7: Final Major Project – self-identified design brief
Phase 8: Exhibition
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Studio Fees: £65.00
5 GCSEs A* - C including English Language or Maths or a Level 2 Diploma in this discipline at Pass grade or higher. You must provide a portfolio of work during your interview.
Teaching and assessment
- Practical coursework continuous assessments assignments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course, successful candidates may progress onto a University or Foundation degree in a variety of creative subjects including:
- Product Design
- Art and Design
- Interior Architecture
- Furniture Design
- Graphic Design
- Industrial Design
- Automotive Design
Many students will also pursue various employment opportunities within the creative industry. Through participation in all areas of this programme, students will build up a comprehensive portfolio to use in future interviews.
Need to know