About this course
The Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design is an exciting and innovative course exploring disciplines such as ceramics, textiles, graphic design, printing, fine art and 3D materials such as wire, plaster, jewellery making etc.
The Course is underwritten by University of Art, London which has a reputation as a world class university and was ranked 2nd in the world for Art and Design in the 2021 QS World University Rankings.
While studying with us you will have access to specialist studios where you will be encouraged to explore materials and techniques. You will be able to utilise the Learning Zone which stocks a fantastic range of current visual arts journals and books as well as having access to online content and this will help to support your learning and development.
Your course will also guide you into the world of contemporary art and design and where you find yourself within this. You will explore who you are as a practitioner and how your work adds to the current visual narrative.
The level 3 Diploma is the first Year of a 2 Year course which has been designed to provide you with the skills, knowledge and understanding necessary to progress into degree level study in art and design or into employment within the Creative Industries. Completion of Year 1 provides you with a Diploma in Art and Design at Level 3 and is equivalent to 1.5 A Levels. Completion of Year 2 provides you with an Extended Diploma in Art and Design at Level 3 and is equivalent to 3 A Levels.
What you will study
On this course, students will study the following:
- Painting and Drawing
- Studio Skills
- 3D work/Jewellery making
- Contextual Studies
- Professional Practice in Art and Design
- Essential skills - Application of Number or Communications
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Studio Fees: £65.00
5 GCSEs A* - C including English Language or Maths or a Level 2 Diploma in this discipline at Pass grade or higher. You must provide a portfolio of work during your interview.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment including written assignments and practical assessments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I chose to come to Cardiff and Vale College as I knew I could really be myself here and I would be treated as an equal. The people I have met since being at the College have been my highlight as I’m meeting people who are different ages and have had different experiences to me. I have made some really good friends since being at the College. It seems like the right step between school and uni.
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course, successful candidates may have the option to top up their qualification to a BTEC Extended Diploma in Art, Craft and Design. The College also offers a range of Foundation Degrees, accredited by Cardiff Metropolitan University, which means that once you have completed your course, you can choose to return to college and gain a University qualification there, instead of going to University. To find out more about our range of Foundation Degrees, just follow the link: www.cavc.ac.uk/he
Need to know