About this course
The Art and Design AS Level programme is a one-year course of study and should be taken in conjunction with two or three other subjects and the Welsh Baccalaureate.
Based at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, learners may be able to take this qualification as a part-time student.
The course enables learners to explore an internally set unit of Personal Creative Enquiry and will develop their skills in contextual understanding, creative making, reflective recording and personal presentation.
What you will study
The candidate will explore an overarching theme through historical and contemporary research to inform understanding and ideas that then lends itself to creative experimentation and exploration. Students will adopt consistent reflective learning skills, enabling them to visually, verbally and in written context, explain, analyse and justify their work and its relation to the work of others; generating a personal response to the demands of the brief.
Candidates will be expected to purchase an A3 work journal and to complete at least 5 hours of self-directed study per week.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grade A* - C including English Language and Maths.
Individual subjects may require higher grades.
Mature learners without these qualifications may be accepted after an interview with the subject tutor.
Teaching and assessment
One end of year assessment
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I came to the College as I wanted to travel and become more independent – it’s so modern and looks amazing. When I saw the library I was sold. Honestly the library was my main pull, there are so many books I loved it.
Someone came in to speak to us about the Sutton Trust, which gives students a taste of life at American universities. I applied - it was really competitive but I got in. We went to a different state every day, and we went to different colleges including Princeton and Harvard. I also had a week at Warwick Uni and a week at Nottingham Uni. It was so good – I just loved it.
You have a lot of support at the College, especially from the Careers and Ideas team. I think there are a lot more opportunities here as it is such a big college with so many resources.
Need to know