About this course
The Photography A2 programme follows on from AS Photography and should be taken in conjunction with two or three other subjects and the Welsh Baccalaureate.
Based at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, learners may be able to take this qualification as a part-time student.
What you will study
Unit 2: Coursework Portfolio
You will be encouraged to develop areas of personal interest within this unit, using a wide range of source materials & processes. This may include digital media, 35mm film or any other lens based medium. Themes may include fashion, studio still life, landscape, documentary, fine art or portraiture. All practical developmental works are displayed in a research workbook or digital workbooks, including other appropriate contextual influences, gallery visit information and written analysis.
- Group critique sessions.
- Submission of a research digital workbook and final images.
- 1000-3000 word written analysis.
Unit 3: Externally Set Assignment
The themes for this unit are set each year by the exam board. The work explored in this unit provides opportunity to experiment with visual ideas. You will be encouraged to experiment with a range of processes and materials to generate imaginative and original imagery. All practical work is supported by the production of a digital research workbook charting creative and contextual development.
- Group critique sessions.
- This unit incorporates a 15 hour practical supervised assessment.
- Submission of a digital research workbook and final images.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
Successful completion of AS programme including satisfactory attendance and tutor recommendation.
Teaching and assessment
Assessment and practical assignment
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I came to the College as I wanted to travel and become more independent – it’s so modern and looks amazing. When I saw the library I was sold. Honestly the library was my main pull, there are so many books I loved it.
Someone came in to speak to us about the Sutton Trust, which gives students a taste of life at American universities. I applied - it was really competitive but I got in. We went to a different state every day, and we went to different colleges including Princeton and Harvard. I also had a week at Warwick Uni and a week at Nottingham Uni. It was so good – I just loved it.
You have a lot of support at the College, especially from the Careers and Ideas team. I think there are a lot more opportunities here as it is such a big college with so many resources.
Career prospects & further study
On completion of the A Level programme, the majority of our students progress onto universities across the country and beyond. Based on this course, there are many options but below are just a few examples of degree programmes you could go on to study at University:
- Business and Management
- Graphic Design
- Media Studies
Need to know