About this course
If you are keen to pursue a successful career as an Accountant, our AAT Advanced Diploma in Accounting is the perfect course for you! Based at our campus in Barry, this programme covers a range of complex accounting tasks, including maintaining cost accounting records and the preparation of reports and returns. Studying in the colleges dedicated classrooms and facilities, students will learn and master a number of financial processes including:
- Accounting Principles and Concepts
- Advanced Bookkeeping
- Final Accounts
- VAT Issues in Business
- Management Accounting Costing Techniques
- Ethical Practices for Accountants
This qualification further delivers software skills through spreadsheet training for accounting. This course comprises of six mandatory units (390 guided learning hours), and its purpose is to ensure that students are well prepared to progress into a business, finance or professional accountancy career or into further education.
What you will study
All units within this qualification are mandatory. Four units are assessed individually in end-of-unit assessments, alongside a synoptic assessment, which is sat towards the end of the qualification, drawing on and assessing your knowledge and understanding from across the course. Units include:
- Advanced Bookkeeping - end of unit assessment
- Final Accounts Preparation - end of unit assessment
- Management Accounting: Costing - end of unit assessment
- Indirect Tax - end of unit assessment
- Ethics for accountants - assessed within the synoptic assessment
- Spreadsheets for Accounting - assessed within the synoptic assessment
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Successful completion of AAT Level 2 with commercial experience. You will need to attend an interview and pass an AAT Skills assessment.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous online assessments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
When I came back into education I knew this was the place to go. Moodle is great and there’s a lot of content on there, any questions we have the tutors are very quick in responding.
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course, successful candidates may progress onto the AAT Accounting Diploma Level 4 course at the college, from which they can progress into chartered accountancy. Many students also pursue various employment opportunities within the industry.