About this course
This course aims to prepare learners for Higher Education study in Engineering.
This course is designed for those learners who, because of social, educational or individual circumstances, may have achieved few, prior qualifications. This may include adults who wish to change career, younger learners with substantial life experience post compulsory education, or those from under-represented groups in Higher Education (HE).
What you will study
This course will include mandatory modules in:
- Delivering oral presentations
- Communication and Study Skills. The main subject areas will include Maths and English.
- Communication skills for Access to Higher Education
This course will include the following:
- Level 2 Mathematics units: Algebra, Graphs & Application of Maths
- Level 3 Mathematics
- An HE investigative project/extended essay
- An Engineering project and Engineering Physics
- Physics units: Electricity and Magnetism, Current Electricity and Energy and Energy Transfer
This course will also aim to:
- Prepare learners to be self-directed and independent learning.
- Introduce learners to a range of academic subject areas related to the higher education programme to which they wish to progress.
- Give learners the opportunity to experience a range of assessments in preparation for those encountered in Higher Education.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment including essays, presentations, in class tests and exams.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £350.00
Level 2 Literacy and Numeracy assessed at interview and GCSE Grade A* - C in Maths. Learners need to be outside of FT education for three years.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I think I have really grown in confidence on the course, and have gained basic skills which I didn’t have before, I left school at the begin in Year 11, so getting a C in maths and English at GCSE was a big deal for me, and it boosted my confidence.
Need to know