About this course
Our BTEC Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care is a two-year advanced level qualification, that will prepare students for employment within the Health and Social Care sector or entry into higher education, where the qualification is accepted. Our students will have access to the colleges dedicated classrooms and facilities, as well as spend time in valuable work placements in different care settings related to their chosen field, including nurseries and care homes.
What you will study
Health and social care topics covered include:
- Fundamentals of anatomy and physiology for health and social care
- Personal and professional development in health and social care
- Psychological perspectives for health and social care
- Development through the life stages
- Equality, diversity & rights in health and social care
The Welsh Baccalaureate is also a mandatory part of this course.
As part of the programme, the following Key Skills are also taught:
- Application of Number
- Information Technology
- Problem Solving
- Improving own Learning
- Working with others
There is a heavy workload on this course, so you will be expected to study extensively at home and complete a substantial portfolio of assignments. Work placements are compulsory with this qualification.
Edexcel requires students to undertake compulsory work through planned Personal and Professional Development within a variety of work experience settings. This is an essential/mandatory vehicle for the achievement of this course. Work experience in a range of Health & Social care areas will also help students understand the relevance of their studies.
Note: Applicants for courses in Health and Social Care or Early Years are required by law to have a clear DBS check.
A Pearson BTEC National Level Foundation Diploma in Health & Social Care plus English Language GCSE grade A* - C. Maths preferred at A* - D. Satisfactory DBS check and reference.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment including written assignments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
I did look around colleges before deciding on where to go, but Cardiff and Vale College provided the course information that I wanted. We have done quite a lot of reports and case studies but also looked into how the human brains works, so we can understand many forms of disabilities, both mental and physical. From my time at CAVC I can say that the staff are very friendly, I’ve also made a lot of friends and just generally enjoyed my time here.
Need to know